Monday, January 8, 2018

Chilly New Year

No kidding, it has been cold here! I don't think I've felt my feet in two weeks! We've had highs in the teens and lows in the single digits, and wind chills below zero. 

For those of you sensible enough to be using the metric system, it was a high of -8, a low of -16, and a windchill of -23 today. Brrrrrrrrr.

But it reminded me that a park ranger had told me (many months ago) that I should visit Great Falls when it got really cold!

Wow!


 Even more amazing, they were working on the canal, so they had drained it!

We had lots of fun scampering around the dry canal, picking up freshwater clam shells and finding heron footprints in the icy puddles.

Even better, we got to go down into the locks and see how everything works!






  It was 20 degrees and breezy (-7 C), but we ended up spending two hours outside exploring the frozen falls and dry canals!

Then we needed to go home and have lots of hot chocolate to warm up!

No comments: